February 24, 2024

It is ‘inevitable’ that Everton will face another points deduction after being charged with further financial breaches in their 2022-23 accounts.

That is the view of finance expert Kieran Maguire, who exclusively told Football Insider that Richard Masters’ latest comments suggest Everton will not avoid a second points deduction.

The Toffees were docked 10 points in November after being found guilty of breaching Profit and Sustainability Rules by exceeding the allowable losses for a top-flight club.

Everton have now been charged with breaching the rules again after publishing their 2022-23 financial accounts. If found guilty, Sean Dyche’s side will face a second points deduction this season.

When questioned by the Culture, Media and Sport Committee on the topic this week, Premier League CEO Richard Masters said: “I don’t think it’s messy. Nobody likes enforcing the financial rules. It’s the first time the Premier League has done it.”

Maguire believes Everton’s second charge came as a surprise to many, but insists they will now face another points deduction.

I think many people were surprised at Everton being charged again,” Maguire told Football Insider’s Sean Fisher.

While it was acknowledged that they would have transferred across a significant wage bill into 2022-23, the sale of Anthony Gordon should have generated £40million which would have offset a lot of those costs. 

 

If they are found guilty – and at present they are innocent of course – they are in a position to defend themselves.

However, it seems almost inevitable that there will be another points deduction given what Richard Masters said at the DCMS Committee earlier this week.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *